1.4.3 Quality in collaborative research
A. Background & Definitions
Research collaboration, in the context of this Toolbox article, refers to any mode of collaboration between two or more researchers or research organizations where one collaborating party depends on quality of results generated by another collaborating party. The collaboration modes range from a fee-for-service relationships to research projects executed jointly by members of a consortium where each member contributes towards shared goals.
B. Guidance & Expectations
It is strongly recommended that:
- each collaborating party defines research quality expectations prior to entering any formal collaboration agreements and certainly before initiating any experimental work;
- if a collaboration is supported by a formal collaboration agreement, research quality expectations are specified as an attachment to the agreement;
- all factors that can bias the research conduct (e.g. time pressure) are defined and discussed between parties;
- if appropriate, individuals responsible for specific aspects of research quality are explicitly identified.
Research quality expectations may also include on measurements to ensure data integrity, traceability and security:
- Data generation and documentation practices
- Will raw data be properly handled and stored?
- Do collaborators have laboratory notebooks?
- Data management practices
- Are practices compliant with FAIR principles?
- Platform for data sharing with collaborating parties
- Does it support transparent data sharing?
- Is it secure?
- Reporting of results (presentation of research data between collaborating parties)
- Are there any measures necessary to ensure complete reporting including all replicates?
- Is there any risk that inadequate quality of research practices (e.g. documentation) will endanger intellectual property rights?
PLEASE DO NOT FORGET
- To check whether research at the collaborating party meet required ethical standards
Examples and templates of guidance for external collaborators:
- 220.127.116.11 Expectations for external collaborators.docx 
- 18.104.22.168 Expectations for external collaborators one pager.docx 
NEEDs set up by EQIPD: The pharma industry partners of EQIPD prepared a specific NEED for academic collaboration partners. This NEED can be downloaded here
Information on how to use such NEEDs can be found in section 4.3.2 Using the EQIPD applications
The FAIR Guiding Principles for scientific data management and stewardship 
back to Toolbox
Next item: 1.5.1 Quality policy